Tony (A.R.) Gardner-Medwin - Teaching Publications
Dept. Physiology (NPP), University College London (UCL) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
LAPT at UCL: ucl.ac.uk/lapt
- Gardner-Medwin AR (2019, In Press) Certainty-Based Marking: stimulating thinking and improving objective tests. Chapter in Innovative Assessment in HE: a handbook for Academic Practice 2nd Edn. (Routledge), ed. C.Bryan & K.Clegg.
Email me for a copy of the chapter.
- Gardner-Medwin AR (2018) The value of self-tests and the acknowledgement of uncertainty. Chapter in Enhancing Learning and Teaching with Technology - What the research says (UCL IOE Press), ed. R.Luckin. Email me for a copy of the chapter.
- Gardner-Medwin A R (2013) Optimisation of Certainty-Based Assessment Scores
IUPS 2013, Birmingham UK 22 July POSTER (Including Abstract)
- Curtin N & Gardner-Medwin A R (2013) Self-tests with Certainty-Based-Marking in Early Years of Medical Course
IUPS 2013, Birmingham UK 22 July POSTER (Including Abstract)
- Gardner-Medwin AR (2011)
Reasonable Doubt: Uncertainty in Education, Science and Law. Proc.Brit.Acad. 171, 465-483.
Ch.17 in Evidence, Inference and Enquiry (Ed. Twining W, Dawid P & Vasilaki D) OUP
- Cornwell R & Gardner-Medwin T (2008) Perspective on Certainty-Based Marking: An Interview with Tony Gardner-Medwin Innovate: J. Online Ed: 4 (3) Article 7 :
- Gardner-Medwin AR & Curtin NA (2007).
(CBM) For Reflective Learning And Proper Knowledge Assessment. REAP
Int. Online Conf. on Assessment Design for Learner Responsibility, May
- Gardner-Medwin AR (2006) Confidence-Based Marking - towards deeper learning and better exams In :
Innovative Assessment in Higher Education. Ed.: Bryan C and Clegg K. Routledge, Taylor and Francis Group, London
- Gardner-Medwin AR & Gahan M (2003) Formative and
Summative Confidence-Based Assessment Proc. 7th International Computer-Aided Assessment Conference, Loughborough, UK, July 2003, pp. 147-155
- Issroff K & Gardner-Medwin AR (1998) Evaluation of Confidence Assessment within Optional Coursework. , In Innovation in the evaluation of Learning Technology. Ed. M.Oliver, Univ. N. London Press, pp169-179.
- Gardner-Medwin AR (1998) Updating
with Confidence: Do your students know what they don't know?, Health Informatics 4:45-46
- Gardner-Medwin AR (1995)
Confidence Assessment in the Teaching of Basic Science.
ALT-J (Assoc. for Learning Technology Journal: now renamed Research in Learning Technology) 3:80-85.
Short articles, Abstracts and Presentations on CBM :
- Gardner-Medwin T (2015) Enhancing Student Learning and Insight : using private self-tests with CBM : Poster pdf for Conference: eLearning2.0 (29/7/15) at Brunel University, London
- Gardner-Medwin T (2014) CBM selftests at UCL: The past and the future of LAPT : Poster (A0 pdf) for UCL SLMS Education Domain Event (20/11/14): A4 printable version
- Gardner-Medwin T (2014) Certainty Based Marking: Why, How & When? : Slides (pdf) for talks at UQ Brisbane (22/1/14) and USQ Toowoomba (29/1/14)
- Gardner-Medwin T (2013) Certainty Based Marking: Benefits of a switch to CBM in self-tests and exams e-Assessment Scotland, 2013, Dundee 23 August Slides (pdf)
- Gardner-Medwin T (2013) Self-test exercises & exams with Certainty Based Marking (CBM): Switching to CBM
CAA Southampton 10 July pdf of slides
- Gardner-Medwin T (2013) Certainty-based marking in self-tests and exams
e-Assessment: Which Way Now? London Knowledge Lab, 16 May PDF Abstract & slides
- Gardner-Medwin AR (2010) Develop understanding, with Self-tests & Certainty Based Marking. Leicester Univ. Teaching & Learning Day, April 2010 PDF slides
- Gardner-Medwin T, Jenner M & Roberts P (2010) Self-tests and
CBM as learning tools - putting learners in charge.
MoodleMoot UK, April 2010. PPT slides
- Gardner-Medwin AR (2009) Marks for identifying uncertainty:
stimulation of learning through Certainty-Based Marking. Cambridge Assessment, June 2009. PDF slides PPT slides
- Gardner-Medwin AR (2008) Certainty-Based Marking: rewarding
good judgment of what is or is not reliable
Innovation 2008: Breckenridge CO, USA; April 2008
- Lunch-Hour Lecture, UCL, 21 Nov,'06 "Is there a measure of
Knowledge?" Slides (.pdf)
including dialogue based on an audience question (last 2 slides). Also:
Video File. NB
To follow the video you need to print out the PDF first, or view it while just listening
to the recorded sound. The video resolution for the slides is very poor.
- Gardner-Medwin AR, Curtin NA (2006). Certainty-based
marking at UCL and Imperial College. Physiological Society
Teaching Workshop, Proc Physiol Soc series. , 3, WA4 Online
Abstract , Slides (pdf)
- Gardner-Medwin AR (2006). Analysis of
exams using certainty-based marking. Physiological Society
Main Meeting, UCL, Proc Physiol Soc series. , 3, PC64 Online
Abstract, Full Text (pdf)
- Gardner-Medwin AR (2005) Confidence
based marking – think it through 01.9 Newsletter of HeA Medicine, Dentistry and
Veterinary Medicine, 01.9 Text (.doc)
AR, Curtin NA (2005): ISL
(Improving Student Learning) Symp., Imperial College London, Sept
2005. The skill of knowing how
reliable your knowledge is . Abstract ,
- Gardner-Medwin AR (2005) Confidence-Based
Marking: encouraging rigour through assessment. Physiological Society Teaching
2005. J Physiol 567P, WA10, Abstract , Slides (ppt) , Proceedings
- Shock of the Old Conference on "Implementing
April 2005, Gaining
Confidence in Confidence-Based Assessment Abstract, Powerpoint
- Staff and Educational
Development Association (SEDA) Conference, Belfast, 12-13 May 2005 Inspiring Care and Rigour by the use of
confidence-based marking. Tony Gardner-Medwin. Abstract , Conference
- Proc. Conf. on Learning Oriented
Assessment, Hong Kong Inst Ed., 10 June 2005 Experience of Confidence-Based Marking.
A.R. Gardner-Medwin (2005) ,
- 1st International Conference on "Enhancing
Teaching and Learning through Assessment", Hong Kong 12-15 June,
2005 Abstract: Enhancing
Learning and Assessment Through Confidence-Based Marking Tony
Gardner-Medwin: see Conference
- HE Academy Conf.
Learning & Teaching", Warwick, 27-28 June 2005 Improving
Learning and Assessment with Confidence-Based Marking Tony
Gardner-Medwin Abstract , Poster (ppt
file) , Proceedings
- Confidence-based marking: the
proper exam strategy. Tony Gardner-Medwin (2004) Proc. HE
Academy Conf. on Assessment for
Learning: Sheffield-Hallam, Oct 2004 see Conference
of confidence-based assessment ,
A.R. Gardner-Medwin (2003) J Physiol 547P, C148
- Rational and Irrational Marking
Schemes. , A.R. Gardner-Medwin (1999). J.Physiol. 515P:48P.
- UCL Newsletter 1997 , A.R.
Gardner-Medwin & K.Issroff. Do you know what you don't know?
- Confidence Assessment in the
Teaching of Physiology. , A.R. Gardner-Medwin & N.A. Curtin
(1996) J.Physiol. 494:74P (abstract)
- IUPS Workshop on Teaching Physiology,
Maastricht, Sept 1995 , A.R. Gardner-Medwin (unpublished abstract).
Webcasts, online events:
related to General Teaching Issues
- Simple class apparatus for studying
frog skin potentials. , Fraser PA, Gardner-Medwin A.R. &
Malinowska DM (1979). J.Physiol. 292:10-11P.
- Ionic basis of membrane potentials
and cellular equilibrium: a computer model for teaching. ,
Gardner-Medwin A.R. (1983). J.Physiol. 341:5-6P.
- Modern versions of this (under DOS and LABVIEW) are
- An application of the BBC
microcomputer to teaching cell physiology. , Gardner-Medwin
& Ribchester R (1984). J.Physiol. 353:12P.
- Stimulating Understanding: a
3-Pronged Approach. , A.R. Gardner-Medwin (2000). Exp. Biol.
- Introspection and Active Learning
in Biomedical Study, A.R. Gardner-Medwin (2001) 34th IUPS Congress, Christchurch, NZ
- Software for
Good Thoughts UCL
Teaching & Learning Event, 2004
Talks (.ppt files)
on Research - see separate listing