Tony (A.R.) Gardner-Medwin - Teaching Publications
Dept. Physiology (NPP), University College London (UCL) Email: email@example.com
Home Page email: firstname.lastname@example.org CBM Self-Tests
Separate listings for : Research Publications, Mixed Publications
- 2019: Gardner-Medwin AR (2019) Certainty-Based Marking: stimulating thinking and improving objective tests. Chapter 12 in Innovative Assessment in HE: a handbook for Academic Practice 2nd Edn. (Routledge), ed. C.Bryan & K.Clegg. MS of Chapter 12
- 2018: Gardner-Medwin AR (2018) The value of self-tests and the acknowledgement of uncertainty. Chapter 1.2 in Enhancing Learning and Teaching with Technology - What the research says (UCL IOE Press), ed. R.Luckin. MS of Chapter 1.2
- 2013: Curtin N & Gardner-Medwin A R (2013) Self-tests with Certainty-Based-Marking in Early Years of Medical Course IUPS 2013, Birmingham UK 22 July POSTER (Including Abstract)
- 2013: Gardner-Medwin A R (2013) Optimisation of Certainty-Based Assessment Scores IUPS 2013, Birmingham UK 22 July POSTER (Including Abstract)
- 2011: Gardner-Medwin AR (2011) Reasonable Doubt: Uncertainty in Education, Science and Law. Proc.Brit.Acad. 171, 465-483. Ch.17 in Evidence, Inference and Enquiry (Ed. Twining W, Dawid P & Vasilaki D) OUP
- 2008: Cornwell R & Gardner-Medwin T (2008) Perspective on Certainty-Based Marking: An Interview with Tony Gardner-Medwin Innovate: J. Online Ed: 4 (3) Article 7
- 2007: Gardner-Medwin AR & Curtin NA (2007). Certainty-Based Marking (CBM) For Reflective Learning And Proper Knowledge Assessment. REAP Int. Online Conf. on Assessment Design for Learner Responsibility, May '07 (online)
- 2006: Gardner-Medwin AR (2006) Confidence-Based Marking - towards deeper learning and better exams In : Innovative Assessment in Higher Education (1st Ed.). Ed.: Bryan C and Clegg K. Routledge, Taylor and Francis Group, London
- 2003: Gardner-Medwin AR & Gahan M (2003) Formative and Summative Confidence-Based Assessment Proc. 7th International Computer-Aided Assessment Conference, Loughborough, UK, July 2003, pp. 147-155
- 1998: Gardner-Medwin AR (1998) Updating with Confidence: Do your students know what they don't know?, Health Informatics 4:45-46
- 1998: Issroff K & Gardner-Medwin AR (1998) Evaluation of Confidence Assessment within Optional Coursework. , In Innovation in the evaluation of Learning Technology. Ed. M.Oliver, Univ. N. London Press, pp169-179.
- 1995: Gardner-Medwin AR (1995) Confidence Assessment in the Teaching of Basic Science. ALT-J (Assoc. for Learning Technology Journal: now renamed Research in Learning Technology) 3:80-85.
Short articles, Abstracts and Presentations on CBM :
- 2019: Gardner-Medwin T (2019) Rewarding the identification of uncertain and confident answersTalk slides for Conference: APT2019 (1/7/19) at UCL
- 2015: Gardner-Medwin T (2015) Enhancing Student Learning and Insight : using private self-tests with CBM : Poster pdf for Conference: eLearning2.0 (29/7/15) at Brunel University, London
- 2014: Gardner-Medwin T (2014) Certainty Based Marking: Why, How & When? : Slides (pdf) for talks at UQ Brisbane (22/1/14) and USQ Toowoomba (29/1/14)
- 2014: Gardner-Medwin T (2014) CBM selftests at UCL: The past and the future of LAPT : Poster (A0 pdf) for UCL SLMS Education Domain Event (20/11/14): A4 printable version
- 2013: Gardner-Medwin T (2013) Certainty-based marking in self-tests and exams e-Assessment: Which Way Now? London Knowledge Lab, 16 May PDF Abstract & slides
- 2013: Gardner-Medwin T (2013) Self-test exercises & exams with Certainty Based Marking (CBM): Switching to CBM CAA Southampton 10 July pdf of slides
- 2013: Gardner-Medwin T (2013) Certainty Based Marking: Benefits of a switch to CBM in self-tests and exams e-Assessment Scotland, 2013, Dundee 23 August Slides (pdf)
- 2010: Gardner-Medwin T, Jenner M & Roberts P (2010) Self-tests and CBM as learning tools - putting learners in charge. MoodleMoot UK, April 2010. PDF slides
- 2010: Gardner-Medwin AR (2010) Develop understanding, with Self-tests & Certainty Based Marking. Leicester Univ. Teaching & Learning Day, April 2010 PDF slides
- 2009: Gardner-Medwin AR (2009) Marks for identifying uncertainty: stimulation of learning through Certainty-Based Marking. Cambridge Assessment, June 2009. PDF slides
- 2008: Gardner-Medwin AR (2008) Certainty-Based Marking: rewarding good judgment of what is or is not reliable Innovation 2008: Breckenridge CO, USA; April 2008
- 2006: Gardner-Medwin AR (2006). Analysis of exams using certainty-based marking. Physiological Society Mtg, UCL, Proc Physiol Soc S3, PC64 PDF slides & Abstract
- 2006: Gardner-Medwin AR, Curtin NA (2006). Certainty-based marking at UCL and Imperial College. Physiological Society Teaching Workshop, Proc Physiol SOc S3, WA4 PDF Slides & Abstract
- 2006: Lunch-Hour Lecture, UCL, 21 Nov,'06 "Is there a measure of Knowledge?" PDF Slides including dialogue based on an audience question (last 2 slides). Videos seem no longer available at UCL.
- 2005: HE Academy Conf. on "Science Learning & Teaching", Warwick, 27-28 June 2005 Improving Learning and Assessment with Confidence-Based Marking Tony Gardner-Medwin Abstract , PDF
- 2005: 1st International Conference on "Enhancing Teaching and Learning through Assessment", Hong Kong 12-15 June, 2005 Abstract: Enhancing Learning and Assessment Through Confidence-Based Marking Tony Gardner-Medwin: see Conference Proceedings
- 2005: Proc. Conf. on Learning Oriented Assessment, Hong Kong Inst Ed., 10 June 2005 Experience of Confidence-Based Marking. A.R. Gardner-Medwin (2005) , see Conference Proceedings
- 2005: Staff and Educational Development Association (SEDA) Conference, Belfast, 12-13 May 2005 Inspiring Care and Rigour by the use of confidence-based marking. Tony Gardner-Medwin. Abstract , Conference Programme
- 2005: Shock of the Old Conference on "Implementing Innovation", Oxford, 7 April 2005, Gaining Confidence in Confidence-Based Assessment Abstract, Powerpoint file, Conference Programme
- 2005: Gardner-Medwin AR (2005) Confidence-Based Marking: encouraging rigour through assessment. Physiological Society Teaching Workshop,Bristol, July 2005. J Physiol 567P, WA10, Abstract , Slides (ppt) , Proceedings
- 2005: Gardner-Medwin AR, Curtin NA (2005): ISL (Improving Student Learning) Symp., Imperial College London, Sept 2005. The skill of knowing how reliable your knowledge is . Abstract , Slides (pdf) see Online Conference Proceedings
- 2005: Gardner-Medwin AR (2005) Confidence based marking – think it through 01.9 Newsletter of HeA Medicine, Dentistry and Veterinary Medicine, 01.9 Text (.doc)
- 2004: Confidence-based marking: the proper exam strategy. Tony Gardner-Medwin (2004) Proc. HE Academy Conf. on Assessment for Learning: Sheffield-Hallam, Oct 2004 see Conference Proceedings
- 2003: Dissemination of confidence-based assessment , A.R. Gardner-Medwin (2003) J Physiol 547P, C148
- 1999: Rational and Irrational Marking Schemes. , A.R. Gardner-Medwin (1999). J.Physiol. 515P:48P. (abstract)
- 1997: UCL Newsletter 1997 , A.R. Gardner-Medwin & K.Issroff. Do you know what you don't know?
- 1996: Confidence Assessment in the Teaching of Physiology. , A.R. Gardner-Medwin & N.A. Curtin (1996) J.Physiol. 494:74P (abstract)
- 1995: IUPS Workshop on Teaching Physiology, Maastricht, Sept 1995 , A.R. Gardner-Medwin (unpublished abstract).
Webcasts, online events:
Publications related to General Teaching Issues
- 2004: Software for Good Thoughts UCL Teaching & Learning Event, 2004
- 2001: Introspection and Active Learning in Biomedical Study, A.R. Gardner-Medwin (2001) 34th IUPS Congress, Christchurch, NZ
- 2000: Stimulating Understanding: a 3-Pronged Approach. , A.R. Gardner-Medwin (2000). Exp. Biol. Online, 5:S88
- 1984: An application of the BBC microcomputer to teaching cell physiology. , Gardner-Medwin A.R. & Ribchester R (1984). J.Physiol. 353:12P.
- 1983: Ionic basis of membrane potentials and cellular equilibrium: a computer model for teaching. , Gardner-Medwin A.R. (1983). J.Physiol. 341:5-6P.
- Modern versions of this (under DOS and LABVIEW) are available within LAPT
- 1979: Simple class apparatus for studying frog skin potentials. , Fraser PA, Gardner-Medwin A.R. & Malinowska DM (1979). J.Physiol. 292:10-11P.
Talks (.ppt files)
Publications on Research - see separate listing